In Massachusetts, you have to have car insurance to drive a car. But what happens if you get stopped by the police and your insurance isn’t active?
Whether your policy lapsed a month ago or a day ago, driving uninsured is still illegal.
If you are driving without insurance because:
- You missed an insurance payment
- You changed insurance companies
- You or your insurance company misfiled paperwork
You can be charged with a misdemeanor. Unfortunately, being unaware that your insurance has lapsed isn’t a viable defense. You need an experienced attorney to help you fight your case.
A conviction of operating a motor vehicle without insurance shall result in the following penalties:
- Up to 1 year in jail; or
- A fine between $500 and $5,000; or
- Both a fine and jail time
- Mandatory 60-day loss of license